The amazing race

Saturday 26 October 2013

Mindfulness.......I want to be mindful and consistent

I often wonder about the people who manage to be consistent about good food and exercise. I know it is possible because a number of the lovely bloggers I read about manage to do it. 'What is this mantra'? I have wondered in the past. Are they all OCD? I know that the people that tend to have the least issue with strict compliance to rules and regulations are OCD or so I have been told.


I must admit that I struggle a lot less with exercise in comparison to diet. Once I am on the exercise bandwagon, I feel good and thrive on it. In fact it would almost be fair to say that once in-schedule I love exercising. But food, that is another thing altogether. I love food and in particular sweets. Even when I am on a period of trying to eat well, every meal and snack is a torture. I can very easily lose the plot just because I enjoy the taste of food and am certainly not minimalist in this area. One of the things that somewhat makes it better is having three meals instead of also having snacks. Through trial and error, I have found that snacks do not work for me. Once I finish breakfast I wait for the morning snack and then for lunch and so on and so forth. However, once I have a meal and know that I do not have anything to eat until lunch, surprisingly there are no signs of hunger or craving until lunch. So one of the aims is to have three meals instead of a snack as well which I am better at at work than home coz with a toddler, there is always some dabbling with food prep.

Although I could have been heaps better with my eating since the re-commencement of my journey, I am more than happy with my exercise.My goals were:

Monday - Walk up the 12 floors to work - DONE
Tuesday - Walk home from work - RAINED so had to miss
Wednesday - Spin class at 6 pm - MISSED
Thursday - Walk - DONE
Friday - Spin class - DONE

Saturday - Boxing - DONE
Sunday  - Go with the flow


While it is not perfect, I do think it is a good start for the first week. The surprises for me were the stairs. I was dreading it and initially thought that if I could get 4 flights done then I would be fine. However, I did manage to get the lot done in 10 mins or thereabouts. Maybe I am fitter than I give myself credit for? The spin class was another surprise. I did not expect that I would be able to last the whole class but was able to. This felt great and I loved it. I was so proud of myself and challenged myself further yesterday when I went for the next spin class. I can still feel the pain.

This blog feels all over the place but it is also because I have so many things going on in my mind. Feeling balanced is another indication of consistency. I feel that I take things a lot more seriously than most. If something bothers me I eat, if I am stressed I eat, if I am happy I eat. Eating seems to have become the core of my being and shifting it or replacing it seems to be akin to taking something out of my core. However, in this whole thing, if I get to the other side having shifted the core I will consider myself as having succeeded.

More talkies later :)

No comments: