The amazing race

Friday 11 October 2013

Getting active and further planning

In the last couple of days I have been so inspired by so many successful weight loss comrades. The take home message from their success has been:

 - It has to be about eating well and exercising, not just one of the other,
 - Being mindful at all times - in other words, being switched on instead of living in semi-automation and not being wholly aware. Really being engaged with yourself all the time,
 - Being kind and forgiving to yourself and moving on. I am my worst enemy and this is one that I am having to learn from scratch. I tend to have these lofty standards and when I fail I also start owning the feeling of worthlessness and despair. This is something that has caused me much stress and something I really need to work on.
 - Be positive about it. Love what one is am doing. Enjoy the process instead of thinking of it as a chore. I know that for me sometimes it becomes this far away goal that seems so very far away...50 kilos is not easy but if year after year I keep thinking of it as 50 kilos and giving up, I am never going to get anywhere. Why dread it if it is something that will get me out of jail.

My activity action plan is:

Monday - Walk up the 12 floors to work
Tuesday - Walk home from work
Wednesday - Spin class at 6 pm
Thursday - Walk
Friday - Spin class in the morning at 9.30 am - sit in the sun and read a book and meditate. No housework day.
Saturday - Boxing
Sunday  - Go with the flow

Food Plan
As much as I am going with the weight loss thing, I think I need to seriously consider either going full throttle with it as in 12 weeks intensive VLCD or doing my 1200-1400 calories a day thing. I do know that so far I have been unsuccessful with the VLCD. I know I have followed it for one week and seen instant results. I am not sure whether the answer for me is to do it as per the original plan and persist (since consistency is the name of the game), or whether I need to do the 1200-1400 calories a day thing where I can have a range of things. I am not sure and I do not know what the answer is. I am leaning towards the VLCD as I believe in this way I am complying with the study and also it is a way of getting off to a good start and will possibly assist in the consistency thing as there is not much to think. The food is already laid out down pat - and it is portable wherever I go. Hmm clearly some thinking needs to go into this.
I have made enquiries about yoga, pilates and more mindfulness stuff. I am hoping to learn a bit more about lessening my stress levels and I think that with time and gradual weight loss I should have more positive results regarding stress.

No comments: