The amazing race

Saturday 24 December 2011

Consistency....making a habit of it

A lot of the losing weight and for that matter achieving anything is all about doing the same thing over and over - in other words CONSISTENCY. If I were to put together all the effort I have put into my battle with weight instead of all the stops and starts and breaks - I can bet my bottom dollar there would be no one healthier than moi!

I am aiming to be consistent and not be results driven to a manic point. An example is when my psychologist suggested to me to try and fight my desire to eat sugar until our next appointment. I started great but then on days 3 and 4 I ate chocolate and then some ice cream and then some more. My report to the psychologist was that I had failed, although she saw it as a little victory that I did not eat sugar for all of the 10 days. Indeed her advice was to cut myself some slack. Lesson learnt. I need to take one day at a time and then - who knows if I do eat sugar then I need to move on and simply do better right after instead of wallowing and then deciding that I might as well have the lot as I have failed in my own eyes. The only day where I have decided I will not think of sugar is xmas day. I know I will have a mince pie but other than that there arent any plans to have a sugar overload. It is something I have planned and decided I will do. If I do not WANT to have the mince pie, I will not. Our Christmas menu reads something like fruity muesli for breakfast, Xmas lunch is a prawn platter, waldorf salad and watermelon and mint - and possibly roast chicken and also possibly some mulled wine. No heavy duty sauces or creamy pies. It is likely to be a hot day so I am quite happy to do a healthy Christmas meal and feel happy thank you very much :)

Another thing that I am doing is that I have come to a blanket agreement with my husband that we will not get anything sweet in the house. That way I do not have to come to any decisions. Mind you I did buy 2 jars of jam but they are going straight to my husbands work for his morning tea. I actually forgot about the blanket agreement we had and thought it was a good deal when we bought it. Now thats good money spent and so it will simply mean the jars have to be spirited away.

Coming back to consistency, when I read blogs where people have lost weight (and stacks of it I might add) and of those (myself included) that haven't, the one recurring difference between both groups really boils down to consistency. Therefore, I do not need to reinvent the wheel - all I need to do is think of ways of how I can be consistent and commit to it. Having said that, I am not planning to do a weight in this weekend just to get my head into gear and also spend time preparing my spreadsheets for measuring weight and centimetres. I still have to learn how to have all those gizmo things on blogs like in a lot of blogs I see.

However, in the spirit of the season - merry xmas all and cheers to new beginnings xoxox

No comments: